Contact & Support
Sögreni of Copenhagen
Sankt Peders Stræde 30A
1453 København K Denmark
Tel: +45 33 12 78 79
Fax: +45 33 12 72 71
Email: info (at) sogreni.dk
Danish Central Business Register number (CVR): 68425719
Denmark: RegNr 0440 KontoNr 3395227
Foreign Costumers IBAN nr Dk4630000003395227 Swift nr dabadkkk
Adjustments, maintenance and safe riding instructions for the Sögreni bicycle
Sögreni bicycles have been built using parts with a low maintenance level. All smaller parts like nuts and bolts have been treated with a Delta coating, which makes them rust-free. The gear and brake wires have been pre-stretched after mounting so there is no need to adjust them a short time after using the bicycle. All bearings have been through a thorough running-in test. And we have also pre-greased the crank, any wires, the seat post holding the saddle and a few places more. And before shipping, all bicycles have been tested “on the road”. However, normal maintenance and adjustments are required to obtain long lasting performance of the bicycle. The following parts must however be correctly mounted and adjusted before riding the bicycle:
Mounting the pedals
Mount the pedals on the crank. Note that the left pedal is mounted on a left-hand thread, and must be fitted anti-clockwise on the crank arm. The sprockets are pre-greased to ease mounting, and make sure that the sprocket and thread is fitted perfectly before adding pressure to the fitting of the pedals.Use a 15-mm key for mounting.
Saddle and seat post
Adjusting the saddle in the correct position is a matter of individual taste, but you should be able to reach the pedals with your heels when you are comfortably positioned in the saddle. The tip of the saddle should also be pointed a little bit upwards from a horizontal position. Use a 6-mm Allen key or a 13-mm key for mounting, depending on the saddle model on your bicycle. Very important: Please ensure that at least 6 cm of the seat post is inserted into the frame to ensure that it is safely attached to the bicycle. Use a 5-mm Allen key and/or a 10-mm key for mounting, depending on the saddle model on your bicycle.
The stem can be adjusted independently, but do not exceed the safety marks on the stem, to ensure it is safely attached to the frame. Use a 6-mm Allen key for mounting.
General adjustments instructions for the bicycle
Gear adjustment - if you ordered gears
The bicycle is mounted with a S-ram hub. If adjustment is required it is more likely to be outside the hub and the following checks must be made:
- Make sure that the black adjustment box is secured tightly onto the sprocket of the indicator chain on the gear hub. To release the adjustment box, press down the metal part situated at the front. Tp connect the adjustment box, simply press it back onto the sprocket.
- Check that the gear indicator rod is screwed correctly into the axle (all the way in minus half a turn).
- In 1st gear the indicator chain should be so tight that it is not possible to extend any further from the axle.
Drum brake adjustment
Please note! Even if you do not order a handbrake, your bicycle will always come with a footbrake. If the wheel does not rotate freely, or cannot be locked by full application of the brake lever, the following adjustment may be necessary:
- Slacken the brake adjuster locknut situated in the centre of the wheel on the drum mechanism.
- Turn the adjuster until the brake is applied.
- Slacken the adjuster until the wheel spins freely.
- Tighten the locknut.
Calliper brake adjustment
If the wheel will not rotate freely, or cannot be locked by full application of the brake lever, the following adjustment may be necessary. The hand brakes can be adjusted in several ways. Minor adjustment can be done without any tools.
- 1. Turn the brake adjustment lock-nut on the lever clockwise or anti-clockwise for increasing or reducing the distance between the brake pads and wheel rim.
- 2. Turn the brake adjustment bolt on the brake, situated at the end of the cable, clockwise or anti-clockwise for increasing or reducing the distance between the brake pads and the wheel rim.
- Slacken the nut on the bolt that tightens the cable onto the brake.
- Hold onto the brake arms, press or release for increasing or reducing the distance of the brake pad from the wheel rim.
- Hold the brake arms in position and tighten the nut.
The bicycle chain should be kept fairly tight but able to move 1-1½ centimetres up and down from its horizontal position. To adjust the chain:
- Release the black adjustment box from the indicator chain connected to the back wheel axle, by pressing down the metal part on the box.
- Unscrew the nut on the brake arm and release it from the frame.
- Slacken the nuts on the back wheel axle.
- Pull the wheel backward until the chain is stretched out in the correct position.
- Make sure that the wheel is positioned exactly in the middle of the rear drop out. Hold the position and tighten the nuts on the axle. Make sure that the brake arm is in the right position for mounting.
- Mount the clip and tighten the nut and bolt on the brake arm.
- Adjust the gear. (please see gear adjustment section)
Maintenance of the bicycle
Saddle leather adjustment and maintenance
The Sögreni Bike is mounted with a classic leather saddle from Brooks of England. If properly maintained the saddle will last for a long period of time. It requires some wearing and use before it will fit and feel perfect for the bicycle user.
After some use of the bicycle, the leather of the saddle will start to slacken . Please adjust the nut situated under the tip of the saddle. Turn the nut clockwise to tighten the leather. Adjust until the desired firmness is obtained.
It is important to maintain the leather saddle. Please apply leather dressing to protect the saddle, especially during winter or wet weather. This should be done approx. 3-4 times a year.
Splash flaps and leather handles
Please apply leather dressing on the mud flaps (on both sides) and handles, especially in the winter/wet season. This should be done approx. 3-4 times a year.
Cleaning the Sögreni bicycle
Please use normal lamp oil for best cleaning results on all metal parts of the bicycle. Apply the lamp oil to a piece of cloth and wipe off all dirt and dust on the bicycle.
Please lubricate the chain 2-3 months after purchase of the bicycle. Only use chain spray not grease. Spray a thin layer on the chain while in motion. Wipe the chain off before and after spraying with a piece of cloth. The chain will benefit from regular lubrication every 1 to 3 months depending on weather conditions and use of the bicycle. Please check the chain from time to time; it is the most vulnerable part of the bicycle.
Safe riding instructions
Please keep the brakes correctly adjusted in order to guarantee a minimum breaking distance. The brake pads should be replaced when the patterned wear surface is worn off. Caution: Be aware that calliper brakes will lose some braking ability during wet weather conditions.
Please keep the brake correctly adjusted in order to guarantee a minimum breaking distance. Do not attempt to disassemble the drum brake hub if braking or mechanical problems arise, please contact your local bicycle store. Wet weather conditions do not have any effect on the braking ability.
Please make sure that the brake arm, situated on the left side of the back wheel axle, is fitted correctly to the metal clips on the rear drop. The nut should be tightly fitted to the bolt at all times.
Tyres and air pressure
Please make sure that the tyres are correctly inflated. The tyre should be kept quite firm. After inflating the tube, you should be able to press down on the tyre by approx. 2 mm. Each tyre has the recommended inflation pressure (PSI measure) written on it. Many bicycle riders believe that their tyres will last for a lifetime. Unfortunately this is not true. When the patterned surface has worn off, or the tyre rubber starts to crack, the tyre should be replaced.
Lighting and reflectors
Please use bicycle lighting when driving in dark weather. Keep the reflectors intact and visible for the safety of yourself and other traffic users on the road. Sögreni bicycles are normally delivered with tyres but without reflectors. If the law in your country requires this, well please tell us and we will find tyres for you with reflectors fitted.